Every Linksys router arrives with a firewall incorporated in it. This firewall serves the purpose of preventing the files present on your computer on the Linksys network from hackers. Additionally, a firewall also acts as a shield to prevent attacks from WiFi bandits. Considering this fact, we can conclude that a firewall present on the router does not allow many programs or applications to work properly. Therefore, one needs to manually configure the router’s settings so that desired applications or programs can be used. In other words, the user is supposed to port forward the router. But, what does this feature do, and how it will help in providing access to various apps and programs? This guide focused on how to port forward with Linksys smart WiFi web interface will let you know.
Why to Port Forward Linksys Router?
As mentioned earlier that access to some programs is denied to a built-in firewall, the Port Forwarding feature arrives as a rescue boat to provide access to those applications. It means the data flowing over the internet can pass through the router’s firewall once you apply some rules through Linksys Port Forwarding. If we break down the process in simple words, it allows you to open a port on the router that helps in interacting with specific data.
But, learning how to port forward with Linksys smart WiFi web interface will come later. First, we would like to make you aware of the types of port forwarding that are:
A. Single Port Forwarding
B. Port Range Forwarding
Configuring Single Port Forwarding on the router allows you to gain access to public services one by one. These services include web servers, FTP servers, email servers, etc. However, using this type of port forwarding on the router requires the user to assign a static IP address to the device subjected to it. However, if you port forward the router using the second type, you will be able to set up access to public services in a group. To say it simply, you can set a range of ports like from 15-20. Certain gaming servers require opening a range of ports to work properly. Whenever a request for the specified port arrives via the internet, the router will route the data to the specified device. This is to inform you that internet applications like videoconferencing do not require any forwarding.
Before Knowing How to Port Forward with Linksys Smart WiFi
Now that you’ve learned what port forwarding is and why to configure it on the Linksys router, it is time that we move forward with the guide explaining how to port forward with Linksys smart WiFi web interface. Mentioned in the upcoming sections are the steps to enable Single Port Forwarding and Port Range Forwarding. Know that accessing the router’s web interface is like accessing http //extender.linksys.com setup for Linksys extender. Therefore, take notes of the default IP address and login credentials of the router so that you can easily access the router’s web interface. Additionally, keep a new Ethernet cable by your side so that you can use it immediately if the one in use denies working.
However, you can contact our technical support executives if you find the process a little complex and need personalized help while executing it.
How to Port Forward with Linksys Smart WiFi Router?
A. Single Port Forwarding on Linksys Router
- Access the router’s web or IP address after entering it into the browser’s URL field.
- When prompted to fill in the smart WiFi router’s login details, type the default values.
- You will see the Linksys router smart setup wizard.
- Locate the Router Settings section and select Security.
- Navigate to the App and Gaming tab and click it.
- Select Single Port Forwarding and click the Add a New Single Port Forwarding button.
- Input the details of the device or program for which you want to open a port.
- These details are the Application name, External and Internal ports, and IP address.
- Select the Protocol from the dropdown menu and check the Enabled box.
- Click Save > Apply.
- To close the window, select OK.
The Single port forwarding process has been completed. You can port forward other applications by clicking the Add a new Single Port Forwarding button and inserting the required details.
B. Port Range Forwarding
- Access the Linksys smart WiFi router’s local web interface using the required details.
- Select Router Settings > Security > App and Gaming.
- Now, click the Port Range Forwarding option.
- Locate the Add a New Port Range Forwarding option and click it.
- Input the device or application’s info that you want to forward ports to.
- These details are the Application name, Start and End port, Device IP, and protocol.
- Be sure that the Enabled checkbox is selected.
- Save the changes by clicking the Apply button.
This is how to port forward with Linksys smart WiFi web interface when you want to port forward a range of applications. You can set port forwarding rules for other ranges by clicking the Add a New Port Range Forwarding option and entering the required information.
No matter whether you set rules for Single Port Forwarding or Port Range Forwarding, the feature is all about opening ports for useful applications and programs that get blocked by the router’s in-built firewall. We hope that you’ve now learned how to port forward with Linksys smart WiFi web interface and will be able to open ports for specific applications on your devices.
Just in case you get stuck at any point while setting up port forwarding rules on the router, consider getting in touch with our experts without any delay.